Crew - Drugs IndexBack / Home
Anabolic Steroids (ana-bol-ic ster-oids) also known as roids or juice are performance enhancing drugs derived from testosterone, a naturally occurring male hormone. They are used for their muscle building properties in combination with intensive training and a diet high in both calories and protein.
Anabolic Steroids are believed to encourage harder workouts and reduce the time needed to recover from them. Users of some steroids may experience a long lasting 'buzz' which may make them feel high, confident, powerful, invincible or randy. Side effects in men and women can include acne, reduced sex drive, impotence and reduced sperm count, ‘bitch tits’ in men, increased levels of aggression, dramatic mood swings and sleeping problems.
They usually come in tablets which are swallowed or as a liquid which is injected into a muscle. Steroids are commonly used at excessive dosages providing little benefit in terms of muscle growth yet greatly increasing the chances of negative side effects.
What you Need to Know
If you choose to use anabolic steroids:
- Be aware of the dosage you are taking as different strengths exist
- Always 'cycle' steroids - take a period of time off the drugs equal to or longer than the time spent on them
- Counterfeit steroids are common. Many contain different steroids or dosages than stated on the label. Try to use reputable suppliers
- When taking oral steroids, high doses of milk thistle extract can help to cleanse the liver and kidneys
- Psychological dependence has been reported
- Avoid alcohol as this will increase the strain on your body and may make you feel sick
Although anabolic steroids are Class C it is a bit of a grey area and they sit somewhere between a medicine and a banned drug. Penalties for possession of counterfeit steroids are up to 2 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine. Supply holds penalties of up to 14 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine.
It is not an offence to possess anabolic steroids for personal use but it is illegal to deal. They can be legally imported but as of 2012 they must be accompinied/chaperoned into the country, be in medicinal form and not be counterfeit.
Back / Home