Crew - Drugs IndexBack / Home
There are more than 190 species of magic mushrooms, also known as shrooms or mushies, their use dates back to prehistoric times. They grow wild in the UK, usually in the autumn time. Prior to 2005 fresh magic mushrooms were legal (illegal if dried) but now all mushrooms containing the active ingredient, psilocybin (sil-o-sigh-bin) are illegal to possess and/or supply.
Magic mushrooms are a psychedelic (trippy) drug which can alter your senses, causing colours to appear more vivid and music to sound clearer. They also increase your heart rate and blood pressure. People using them can experience a high, relaxation and creative thinking as well as a feeling of time slowing down, nausea, dizziness and confusion.
They are mostly small brown or tan and can be easily confused with non-trippy, poisonous types growing wild, although mushrooms containing psilocybin usually bruise blue when held. Do some research to spot the differences between types in your area. They are often eaten raw (wet) or dried out and made into tea however boiling water can reduce strength. Dose varies depending on the type used and how they are prepared however a number of mushrooms are usually consumed before the desired effect is achieved.
An average trip may last three to six hours but could be anything up to 16 hours as the more you take the longer it is likely to last. The effects may take a while to kick in. You could take the same amount as a friend and not feel the effects as quickly as they do.
What you Need to Know
If you choose to use mushrooms:
- Remember the effects will wear off so stay calm
- Take them in in a safe environment
- Try a small amount and wait at least two hours before re-dosing
- Avoid use if you are not in a good mood or if you feel anxious as you might heighten these feelings. It's better if you are in a good mood
- Don’t trip on an empty stomach but also don’t eat just before tripping as you might get an upset stomach. Some food about 1 hour before is recommended
- Drying magic mushrooms reduces the weight but not necessarily the potency (strength)
- Aon-fizzy, sugary drinks can be useful for people having a negative experience
- Avoid mixing alcohol and mushrooms as effects can be unpredictable
All magic mushrooms (wet or dried) containing psilocybin are Class A drugs. Penalties for possession are up to 7 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine. Supply holds penalties of up to life in prison and/or an unlimited fine.
Back / Home